Breast Cancer Research
When you donate to Komen Charlotte, you’re helping to find the cures for breast cancer! Here’s how:
- 25% of Komen Charlotte’s net income supports breast cancer research.
- Thanks to you, Komen Charlotte contributed $550,000 for research in 2011.
- Since its founding in 1997, Komen Charlotte has contributed more than $3.5 million for research.
- When donations exceed expectations, Komen Charlotte has the option of directly co-funding research.
- Since 2008, Komen Charlotte has co-funded two Komen peer-reviewed North Carolina-based research grants as well as a clinical trial.
- The Affiliate has contributed $200,000 to these grants, over and above the 25% supporting research funds awarded by Komen Headquarters.
- To read about these grants, click here.
- In North Carolina alone, Susan G. Komen for the Cure® sponsors 35 breast cancer research grants totaling more than $15 million. Projects include: “Does Increased Glucose Uptake in Mammary Cells from African-American Women Predict Aggressive Triple-Negative Breast Cancer?” and “Vaccine Strategy to Treat and Prevent Resistance to Anti-estrogen Therapy in Breast Cancer."
- Since 1982, Susan G. Komen for the Cure has invested nearly $685 million in research.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the largest non-governmental funder of breast cancer research in the world.
- Komen grants have resulted in developing the drug therapies of Herceptin, Tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors to treat breast cancer.
- Additional information available at komen.org/research.